Stress-Reducing Deep Breathing Exercises (2:31)
Anxiety is your body's way of preparing itself to deal with a threatening situation. Most of us experience a degree of anxiety at one point or another. This form of stress can be exhibited emotionally, physically, or both. Common symptoms can be fear, nervousness, palpitations, and an increase in both heart rate and blood pressure. If you want to soothe your anxiety the natural way, you've come to the right place. We spoke to Dr. Patrick Fratellone, an expert in naturopathic medicine and the founder of Fratellone Medical Associates, to learn more about the ways in which essential oils ease stress. There are many essential oils that Dr. Fratellone relies on for anxiety-sufferers. Here are five of his trusted picks.
- Lavender - Lavender oil is considered a universal oil that can balance the whole body. Widely known for its relaxing effect, the aroma also promotes health, love, and peace. You can try using it as a pillow mist to unwind before bed, pouring a little bit of oil into a warm bath, or making your own body oil with the combination of a carrier oil.
- Wild Orange - This is an uplifting oil for both the body and mind and it has a calming quality as well. It can be particularly useful in reducing heart palpitations brought on by anxiety.
- Lemon - As a cardiologist, Dr. Fratellone uses this essential oil to lower blood pressure. This scent can also help calm nerves while imparting an invigorating and warming fragrance at the same time.
- Clary Sage - Part of the mint family, clary sage can be mixed with bergamot oil to create an aromatic concoction that will reduce nerves. You can also try peppermint or spearmint if you prefer those scents instead.
- Lemon Balm - This herb is famous for soothing anxiety, particularly helpful for individuals with an over-active thyroid that can often cause stress. This rejuvenating scent can be applied to the skin with a carrier oil or you can use the extract for teas and other beverages.