Full name: Adrian Martinez, MD
Hometown: San Antonio, TX
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Place of Practice: Austin, TX
Why did you want to become a doctor?
For me, it was simple. I found out early in life I could connect with people on a personal level very quickly. Becoming a doctor was the most challenging and rewarding experience because at the end of the day your main objective is to help others.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
First, I'm bilingual. I know it sounds basic, but a vast majority of my patients do not speak English. I feel like I can relate to them and explain disease processes better, and it puts a smile on their face when I start speaking in Spanish. Second, I have a bedside manner that is comforting and warm. Many times I am able to make my patients laugh even when they obviously do not feel well. I am also part of the non-profit, givingmore.org.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Pick up a hobby: Everything from reading, puzzles and card games to sports and exercise.
- Stay single: Doesn't everyone seem to try to look better when they are?
- Travel: Being exposed to different languages and cultures engages the brain and body.
- Diet: I know it's unoriginal, but it is so important. I didn’t learn anything about diet in medical school. People are still eating too many carbs.
- Tequila! My grandfather sips a shot of tequila everyday. He is 91 and still works 6 days a week.