Name: David O'Connor, MD
Hometown: Boca Raton, FL
Specialty: Vascular Surgery
Place of Practice: Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, NJ
Why did you want to become a doctor?
Ability to help people with science and technology, gratification from patients.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
Trained in vascular surgery at Mount Sinai, learned most advanced surgeries in the field. Involved in several clinical trials at Hackensack and am the Director of vascular research there.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Volunteer or help out a friend or neighbor. Helping another person can release beneficial bioeffects on your body and emotional well-being.
- Give your boss a raise. Showing enthusiasm and giving your supervisors some appreciation can decrease some of the rigidity of the work place and take stress off you.
- "Vent" regularly with a close friend or family member. Exchanging what bothers you with someone you're close with can greatly relieve stress and help you live longer.
- Eat a variety of ethnic foods. Many different cuisines have healthy options for a variety of medical conditions and with a variety of healthier foods it helps to follow healthier diets.
- Take the dream vacation. If there's always a place you've wanted to visit, make plans to go. It gives you something to look forward to and to help concentrate on an overall positive life.