In ayurvedic medicine, digestion is the key to maintaining health and longevity. A strong digestion means a strong body. Digestion is a reflection of your mental-emotional-physical state of balance.
Poor dietary habits, stress and environmental pollutants can weaken your digestion. A weak digestion results in the accumulation of toxins (known as ama in ayurveda), which in turn causes disease and aging. Signs of poor digestion and toxins are fatigue, lack of mental clarity, weight gain and recurrent infections.
If you answer “yes” to the majority of the statements below, you may have poor digestion, which is resulting in excessive accumulation of toxins in your body. That means it is time for a holistic health overhaul.
1. I tend to feel obstruction/blockages in my body – constipation, congestion/heaviness in the head area, blocked nose, or a general feeling of non-clarity.
2. When I wake up in the morning, I do not feel clear; it takes me quite some time to feel really awake.
3. I tend to feel tired or exhausted mentally and physically.
4. I get common colds or similar ailments several times a year.
5. I tend to feel heaviness in the body.
6. I tend to feel that something is not functioning properly in the body – breathing, digestion, elimination or other.
7. I tend to feel lazy (i.e., the capacity to work is there, but there is no inclination).
8. I often suffer from indigestion.
9. I tend to spit repeatedly or have a bad taste in my mouth.
10. Often, I have no taste for food and no real appetite.
11. My tongue is often coated with a thick film, especially in the morning.