1. Get Prepared
Connect with your motivation for getting healthy by keeping a journal. Write about why you want to change and what is important to you. Dancing at your son’s wedding, playing with your grandchildren, feeling more energy?
Take measure of yourself (record your weight, height, body mass index, fasting blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol). You may even want to do specific medical tests to help you assess your diabesity and its root causes. In my free guide, How to Work with Your Doctor to Get What You Need, you can find exactly what tests you should do, what they mean and what to do about any abnormal results.
Do a pantry and kitchen makeover – get rid of the 5 foods that cause obesity and add in real whole foods.
2. Detox from Addictions
Carefully eliminate substances that keep your body on the viscous cycle of cravings and addictions. Sugar, alcohol and caffeine are best eliminated before you start the 6 weeks. In my book, The Blood Sugar Solution, I show you how to do this without the uncomfortable side effects.
3. Add in the Right Foods and Lifestyle Habits to Turn on Weight Loss
Start filling your pantry and refrigerator with fresh, whole, real foods. Choose fresh vegetables, berries, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds and lean animal protein such as fish, chicken and eggs. No gimmicks or weird stuff – just actual food!
Learn to create the perfect plate and eat twice as many veggies as anything else on your plate. This helps balance blood sugar and keeps you feeling full. Here’s the breakdown:
- 50% low starch, low-glycemic veggies (crunchy or green ones). These are fiber-rich foods to help reduce glycemic load. You actually get unlimited refills on this side of the plate.
- 25% lean and clean protein. A serving size is the size of your palm.
- 25% slow-burning carbs like gluten-free whole grains or sweet potatoes.
Examples of meals you can eat:
- Breakfast: Vegetable frittata over black rice
- Lunch: Triple A Salad (arugula, avocado and artichokes) with canned wild salmon and fruit – only 1 fruit a day
- Dinner: Grilled chicken, broccolini, 1/2 cup adjuzki beans
Try the following recipes:
- Sweet Potato Burgers
- Almond-Flax Crusted Chicken
- Other recipes from The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook
4. Get Together to Get Healthy
Find a partner in your home, your neighborhood or even online, and share the journey of getting healthy together. Not only does finding a partner or group to do this with work twice as well and lead to twice as much weight loss, but it is also more fun getting healthy together than alone.
5. Personalize It!
What makes this program unique is your ability to customize a plan to get real, lasting results. Diabesity can be caused by or worsened by many things: inflammation, environmental toxins, gut problems, hormonal imbalances and nutritional deficiencies. Customizing the program according to your specific triggers will help you get the best results. The Blood Sugar Solution provides specific quizzes and personalized recommendations to fix these problems. This is the last diet you will ever need because this last step pairs your individual symptoms with specific personalized solutions. You will, once and for all, heal your symptoms at their root cause and feel like a new person. People say to me all the time that they never knew how sick they were until they started feeling so well.