5. Secret to Keep Your Life Balanced: Gratitude Journal and 4-7-8 Breathing
Gratitude Journal: Gratitude is shown to help ward off depression. So keep a journal and during the day make mental notes of the things you are grateful for – simple things such as friendship, a sunny day, a good cup of coffee, anything at all. At night, jot them down. By doing this for just one week, you can boost your entire mood for up to 6 months.
4-7-8 Breathing: A strong correlation exists between emotions and breathing – the perfect example of mind and body unity. People who are anxious or upset breathe rapid, shallow, noisy and irregular breathes. It’s easier to regulate your breathing than flip a switch on your mood. Try this technique known as 4-7-8 Breathing.
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge behind and above your front teeth.
- Exhale through your mouth, making a whooshing sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale deeply through your nose to a silent count of 4.
- Then hold your breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale through the mouth to a count of 8, and make the same whooshing sound.
- Repeat for 4 breath cycles.
Do this twice a day and you’ll be amazed by how easily calm washes over you.