Eat Slow Carbs with Protein and a Healthy Fat at Every Meal
This power combo shuts off sugar cravings by keeping your blood sugar from spiking, which sends a message to your brain that you’re full so you don’t reach for sugar. You should eat this combo every three hours.
Put slow carbs on half of your plate. They’re high in fiber and low-glycemic so they won’t spike your blood sugar.
Best slow carbs:
- Nonstarchy vegetables like broccoli and asparagus
- Low-sugar fruits like apples, grapefruit and dried apricots
- Lentils and beans like chickpeas
- Fiber-rich grains like oatmeal and quinoa
- Put a healthy fat on a quarter of your plate. They contain fiber and satiate you.
Best healthy fats:
- A small handful of nuts
- About 10 olives
- A quarter of an avocado