Feng Shui for Better Sleep

By Ariel Joseph Towne TheFengShuiGuy.com Author of Serene Makeover: Inner Edition Feng Shui Your Life From the Inside Out

Posted on | By Ariel Joseph Towne

There is almost nothing more important than for us to get a good night’s sleep. If you are having trouble sleeping, there may be some simple things under your nose that could be affecting your ability to deeply rest.

From This Episode:

Joan Rivers Uncensored

What is Feng Shui?


You are all doing feng shui already, whether you are aware of it or not. The basic principle is to bring into balance whatever is out of balance. You do this when it gets too hot out and you open a window or take off a layer of clothing. You do this when it gets too dark outside and you turn on a light bulb. The only difference between you and a feng shui master is that you are doing everything intuitively via trial and error rather than fully understanding the principles of energy that are affecting you.

Feng Shui is About Energy


The way in which we can understand the “energy” of a space is the initial reaction we have to it the moment we walk into a room or building. I call this our inner stoplight: green light, yellow light and red light. If you walk into someone’s home, your first reaction may be “Ahhhhhh.” It feels good, feels like home. This is green light. It may also be “Nooooooooo.” It feels like you instantly don’t want to be there. This is red light. Or perhaps your reaction is “Meh.” You feel neutral about it. Neither good nor bad. Neither drawn in or wanting to leave. This inner awareness will serve you well.

The Purpose of a Bedroom

When I ask people what the purpose of a bedroom is, 90% of them say sleep (the other 10% say sex, love and intimacy, which is also true but for today, let’s focus on rest). This lets me know that we, as a society, are sleep deprived. There may be things within your space that are affecting your ability to fall (and stay) asleep. So the simplest rule of thumb is to eliminate anything in the bedroom that isn’t serving the purpose of that space.

Set Yourself for a Better Night’s Sleep

Treat your bedroom as a sanctuary. This is your private space (it is for you and about you), so don’t let the worries of the outside world make it in here. There is a time and a place to address these concerns and while you are trying to rest in your bed is not one of them. Create some separation when you cross the threshold to your room.

Remove What Isn’t Serving You

Obvious Things

Clutter: This means different things to different people, but if you are feeling claustrophobic, you will have a harder time resting. If your room is disorganized, you will have a harder time relaxing. If your room has lots of distractions, you will not be able to focus on the task at hand: rejuvenation. Go through and do a sweep of your space.

Stuff Under the Bed: Sometimes people think that just because something is out of sight that it doesn’t affect them. This may work for an ostrich, but it doesn’t work for humans. We can feel things even if we don’t see them (remember the stoplight.) If you live in a city, you may not have a lot of closet space. Or any storage. But you should have the space under your bed be free for air to pass through if you want to sleep better. What is your priority? Those old winter sweaters? Or your overall health and wellness?

Remove Work from the Bedroom: If your job matters to you, you will want to do a good job. Many people feel like their work will never end. They bring work into the bedroom with the intention of being a good employee or boss. But most of the time, they are creating a win-lose scenario. It might be a win for the emails you are checking, but a lose for your ability to disconnect from what you are focused on all day long. Please leave the work outside.

Article written by Ariel Joseph Towne
Author of Serene Makeover: Inner Edition Feng Shui Your Life From the Inside Out