Full Name: Joseph James Colella, MD
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
Specialty: Robotic Bariatric Surgeon and Nutrition Expert
Place of Practice: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, PA
Why did you want to become a doctor?
I wanted to be a surgeon since grade school because I thought it would be cool to help others by directly repairing their problems and wearing cool clothes while doing so.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
I use a high-tech robot to perform gastric bypass. The results are fantastic thanks to 3D vision and digitally precise suturing.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Be confident in yourself. A confident person is better able to both avoid stressful situations and better able to handle them when they nonetheless occur.
- Eat as many tomatoes and blueberries as you can.
- Ring the alarm at 7 pounds overweight. Five pounds is unrealistic, but once you hit 7, you are on a slippery slope towards an out-of-control waistline and a closer relationship with your primary care physician.
- Take time to enjoy your children more. Every day with them is a blessing and they provide an amazing reflection of who you really are.
- Stay focused on the good things in your life. Stressing over most of the problems that you have only makes them seem larger.