Name: Matthew S. Cohen
Hometown: Baldwin, NY
Specialty: Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Place of Practice: Philadelphia, Bucks County and Bala Cynwyd, PA
Why did you want to become a doctor?
When I was very young, my grandparents' admiration for their doctors was my first impression of the positive impact that medical providers can have on patients. Later on, I recognized that a career in medicine is both a lifelong education and challenge. More importantly, it's an opportunity to spend decades forming relationships with people while helping them live longer and more comfortable lives.
What sets you apart from other doctors in your field?
I haven't golfed in years.
What are your 5 tips for living longer?
- Don't be afraid to see a doctor. Even if you feel great and take excellent care of yourself, regular check-ups are the best way to detect silent problems early and to prevent other from developing.
- Listen to your body. If you think that you may be having a medical problem, it's better to get it evaluated early than to ignore it.
- Know and understand your family's medical history.
- Don't forget to take the time to do whatever it is that makes you a happy person.
- Always have something to look forward to. Whether it's an upcoming trip, visit with friends, new movie release, dinner reservation, concert, class or whatever it is you choose, plan things that will keep you motivated and excited.