The Shred Diet: Lose 4 Inches and 2 Sizes in Just 6 Weeks! Pt 1 (4:54)
World-class weight-loss expert and author of Shred: The Revolutionary Diet Dr. Ian Smith refers to this new diet as his secret weapon because it works unlike anything else he’s seen. As its name implies, the Shred Diet isn’t only about weight loss — it’s about reshaping your body and changing the way your clothes fit. In only six weeks, Dr. Smith claims this plan can help you lose up to 4 inches, 2 sizes and, incredibly, up to 20 pounds!
How does it work? The Shred Plan is based on “diet confusion.” This principle is modeled after a similar strategy in exercise called muscle confusion, which is used to help break through plateaus of muscle growth. When you do the same types of exercises at the same times, your muscles acclimate to the stress and your progress stagnates. Muscle confusion dictates that people work their muscles in different ways for varying durations of time. By “confusing” your muscles, you can trigger their sustained growth and continue to move toward your fitness goals.
Dr. Smith applies this same idea to diet. He maintains that if you eat the same foods all the time, your body adjusts to that specific diet. Your metabolism stabilizes and fat accumulates as a result. By varying the types and quantities of food you eat, you’ll prevent your metabolism from slowing down and trick your body into burning more calories. In this way, diet confusion keeps your metabolism off-kilter and fuels your fat-burning engines.
The Shred Diet is based on six weeks of different components. Below is a breakdown of the plan:
- Week 1: Prime – This week is an introduction to the Shred Diet and serves to ease your body into the lifestyle change.
- Week 2: Challenge – During the second week, you’ll get serious about your commitment to the diet by reducing your calorie intake.
- Week 3: Transformation – You’ll start noticing a difference in how you look and feel this week! This is the most difficult week of the program — push yourself to find new ways to break through your weight-loss plateau.
- Week 4: Ascend – This week will come as a relief after the difficulty of Week 3. Use this time to rebuild your strength and gain confidence.
- Week 5: Cleanse – You’ll begin a detox focused on cleansing your blood and eliminating toxins from your body.
- Week 6: Explode – The final week of the cycle starts a lifetime of maintenance by creating a new, sustainable lifestyle based on what you’ve learned.
Committing to the Shred Diet requires following three main rules. Below are the key strategies required to turn your body into a fat-shredding machine in only six weeks!