Did you see the story of the Israeli model who teased a boa constrictor so much that it bit her implant-inflated breast? You had to feel sorry for the snake, since it was being teased relentlessly. The model was taken to the hospital, but she was ok. And the snake? Supposedly it died from silicone poisoning after the bite. As a plastic surgeon, I thought, could this really happen?
Silicone is one of the most common materials surgeons use in the body. It’s been around for 50 years and has a great safety record. It can be made into liquids that are used in eye surgery, gels (in breast implants), or hard rubbery materials (in chin implants).
It’s the liquid version that has a jaded past. We’ve known for decades that when it’s injected into the skin to fill wrinkles and scars, it can incite scarring and can even become infected. If that happens, it may have to be cut out to solve the problem, and that can leave a huge deformity. Recently it was found that injected liquid silicone could travel to the liver and kidneys. And that’s not good for you.
There’s no evidence that the silicone in breast implants travel around the body, however, and there’s 40 million people with pieces of silicone in their bodies and the FDA agrees there’s no evidence they’re getting sick from it.
And what about the snake? Snakes actually don’t suck with their teeth – boas’ teeth just hold on to their prey. So the snake story? Bogus.