The next 3 weekends will be filled with holiday parties and most of those parties won’t have the healthiest food options to nosh on. How can you stay on your healthy eating plan and still have a good time? It’s all about preparation and mindfulness.
- Before you leave the house snack on some peanuts or string cheese and whole grain crackers. The mix of protein and fiber will mean that you can arrive at the party content, not starved. That means you won’t eat as much.
- Control your choices by bringing a healthy dish.
- Once you’re at the party, watch the booze and stick to water first and then wine spritzers so that you won’t make poor food choices based on the fact that your inhibitions are lowered.
- Don’t be the first person at the party – the food will be at it’s best in terms of temperature, taste and look so arrive a little later when the buffet doesn’t look so hot anymore.
- Use small plates and don’t stack your food on top of one another.
- Be mindful – that means think before putting that 5th pig in a blanket in your mouth. Ask yourself, do you really want it? Are you still hungry?
- Reject the take home plate and if your host insists, dispose of it before walking in the front door. Ideally throw it in a dumpster on the way home or in your garbage trash but by no means let it enter your kitchen!