Lifestyle 180’s Recipe for Wellness
Steve Caves, The Unhealthiest American
Follow the Rule of 5
Avoid any and all food products if the first 5 ingredients contain any of the following:
- Saturated fat – animal products, full-fat dairy and tropical oils such as coconut, cottonseed, palm and palm kernel oil
- Trans fat – anything with hydrogenated oils
- Simple sugars – enriched grains such as white bread, pasta, rice and sugar
- Syrups – high fructose corn syrup, honey, molasses, cane juice, etc.
- 100% whole grain – make sure everything in the house is 100% whole grain
Limit Sodium Intake
Limit daily intake to 1,500 – 2,300mg. High-sodium foods include processed and canned items, frozen items and take-out dining
Never Drink Your Calories
Stick to water, coffee and tea without calories
Five Handfuls of Fruit and Vegetables Daily
Limit starch vegetables such as potatoes, corn, peas, etc to 2 vegetables daily.
Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fats
25% of your daily calories should come from healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
Daily intake of fiber should be 35g/day. Fiber is found in whole grain products, legumes, fruits and vegetables.
Focus on lean and plant-based proteins such as wild fish, chicken and turkey breast was well as beans and lentils
Steve may want to consider vitamin D3, DHA and a multi-vitamin per recommendation from a physician