A food diary is an important tool in being successful in your journey to wellness. Keeping a food diary keeps one accountable. We are in control of what we place in our mouth. Here are a few suggestions that have helped me.
- Write down what you eat before you eat it. This makes you think about what you are about to eat and gives you a chance to decide whether or not you are making a good food choice.
- I use my computer to track my daily food diary and have a spread sheet set up to type in what I eat. This is not mandatory but it works for me. Lots of my friends just use a book or tablet; whatever works for you is great. Just type or write everything down; that is important.
- Take a look at your food diary at the end of the day and see if there are areas where you could or should have made a better food choice.
- There might be days where you ate something that you know that you shouldn’t have. Don’t beat yourself about it. Just put it behind you! The past is just what it is: the past. Pick yourself up and start over the next day!
- Be sure to include lots of fresh fruits and veggies in your day.
- Focus on organization and planning. I am an extremely organized person and I plan my food menu on a Friday for the upcoming week. I make my food list and off I go to the store and fruit/veggie market so I have all the items in my home.
- I cook for the week on a Saturday or Sunday and always make a double batch s I have dinners in my freezer for the following week.
- I post my menu on my refrigerator so there is no question as to what I am doing to eat during the week.
- Make it simple. All my meals are always quick and easy to prepare, so I spend less time in my kitchen.
- My refrigerator is filled with water, cut up veggies and lots of fruit. All the goodies are nowhere to be found.
Keeping a food diary is an excellent way to make sure that you stay on track. I hope these suggestions work for you and please keep me posted at Riare43a@aol.com.
Sunday and Tuesday: Whole grain pizza with sautéed veggies
Monday and Wednesday: Grilled tilapia with steamed asparagus
Thursday and Saturday: Turkey and bean chili
Friday: Turkey dog on whole grain bun with sauerkraut