Don't allow being overweight deny you the joys of summer. I starting out writing my blog about something totally different but felt compelled to write about summer. I am not fond of the hot weather, so summer is not my favorite season. However, summer is a great time of the year; kids are out of school, everyone is going on vacations, etc.
I have a few personal reasons for not liking summer and it has to do with my body image and the heat. Here are a few of the things I don't like about summer:
- You usually don't wear jackets or sweaters. Maybe you wear a light cover-up, but not very often. Thus all of your bumps and bulges are exposed for the entire world to see.
- Shorts and sleeveless shirts are usually the type of clothing that is worn. I never wear shorts or sleeveless shirts, as they are not flattering to my body type.
- It is bikini season. Yeah!? No! I do not wear a bikini and even a one piece bathing suit is a traumatic experience for me.
- How do you walk in the heat?!
- Ice Cream stores are everywhere. All you see are people eating ice cream or some sort of cold treat.
- All of the cool and exciting activities are usually held outside, where it is hot!
Summertime poses a problem for me personally. How am I going to get through the summer? Things have changed for me since I started my journey to wellness, and summer doesn't seem as scary as it used to be. As a matter of fact, I spent all of my previous summers in air conditioning, not going to the beach, and basically not participating in life. Very boring! Well I have decided to become a participant. I gave this whole situation a lot of thought, and have come up with a few things that I feel will work and actually change my mind set on summer altogether.
Let's tackle clothing first:
- I will wear light clothing made of cotton, so that it breathes.
- I will wear something sleeveless, as long as I wear a shear top to go over it, as that will make me feel comfortable. Layers are very much the "in thing" and look rather nice.
- I won't wear shorts because I feel uncomfortable in them, but wearing capri slacks is a great alternative, and they are very comfortable.
- Flirty, colorful skirts are an option for me. I have seen many, many women wearing these and they look very comfortable and fashionable. They are on the top of my shopping list, as these skirts can be dressed up or dressed down.
How do I walk in the heat?
- I will do my walking in the evening when it is much cooler.
- I will also drive to an air conditioned mall and walk around the mall. I need to keep up those steps as Dr. Mike monitors my steps every day, and he really lives up to his name as "Enforcer." Dr. Mike is such wonderful support.
Can I resist ice cream and cool treats?
Ice cream looks so good, especially when someone else is eating it. Am I going to pass on this treat? Yes! But I am going to make myself other cool treats that are healthy and ones that my body will like.
- Frozen, all fruit, no sugar added pops are a great option and you can make them yourself.
- I will also treat myself with smoothies made with fresh/frozen fruit and skim milk. Just use your imagination and experiment with lots of fresh summer fruits. You will be surprised at how tasty these treats can be so enjoy.
- I will make a bowl of fresh fruit. Cut up watermelon, cantaloupe, kiwi and berries. This is very refreshing dessert and very healthy.
In the past I never participated in any outside activities, and always had an excuse why I couldn't. Now that I look back, I feel like I missed all the fun that summertime has to offer. But this year is so much different. I don't want to miss anything! I am going to keep myself hydrated, wear light clothing and try to participate in everything.
I spend my summer at my shore home on the beach and this year I am not going to miss out on any fun. I have lost 2 special people in my life in the past few months; my aunt who was 94 years old. and a very good friend who passed away last week at the age of 63. Both of these women lived their life to the fullest and are sadly missed. I have come to the realization that life is too short to just watch others having fun, so I have chosen to be a participant.
Please, don't do what I did in the past. Don't deny yourself all the joys of summer. Live your life to the fullest every day. Don't forget to love yourself and always remember you are beautiful inside and out! I hope that my tips work for you. Keep me posted on how your summer is going. You can email me at Riare43a@aol.com.
Weekly Menu: Keep it simple and make enough for another meal and to freeze for the following week!
Sunday and Tuesday: grilled salmon with mixed veggies
Monday and Thursday: brown rice spinach pasta with sauteed onions, garlic and zucchini
Wednesday and Friday: grilled chicken breast with salsa
Saturday: whole grain pizza with veggies