So many of us have been singing the wintertime blues over the snow and icy cold weather. We’ve blamed the inclement conditions for keeping us in the house and making it harder for us to reach those 10,000 steps. We’ve been begging, pleading and praying for better weather and it has arrived.
This week on my lunch break, just like most days, I contacted my fellow YOU Gal Stacy to go for our lunch-time stroll that had recently gotten away from us due to the inclement weather. We had agreed that we would meet and walk, and Stacy chimed in with the fact that it was warm outside. We headed out and I began walking briskly. I realized, man, it was hot out there! Over 4,000 steps later, we agreed it was time to call it quits as the weather was really warm and we needed to return to work.
While I was sitting at my desk, I thought that there had to be a better way! I’ve been so committed to obtaining the bulk of my steps on my break, and with the warm weather coming in, what was I going to do? I realized that when the weather is cold out you can bundle up tight in order to get warm; but when it’s warm out, no matter how much clothing you shed, hot is just hot. In an effort to continue my momentum, I’d like to share a few ways to continue moving while avoiding the heat:
- Walk indoors! Try your local mall, or even through your building at work.
- Rise early when the temperature isn’t as high or walk later in the day.
- Join a gym in your area if you are committed to attending.
- Find cardio classes not associated with a gym to avoid membership fees.
- Use the Wii Fit. There is nothing like working out in your own home and having fun with family while in the AC!
That’s what I could think of so far, and I will surely be giving them a try. If you have suggestions share them with me at firstname.lastname@example.org, because I know without a doubt that I can’t deal with this heat during my lunch break.