This low-calorie soup takes only minutes to prepare from start to finish. It's packed with vitamins and protein, and easy to modify into the perfect vegetarian snack.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach or baby arugula
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp finely ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer. Add 6 tbsp of scallions, the spinach (or arugula), mushrooms, soy sauce and white pepper. Return to a low simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
Stirring with a fork, gradually add the eggs in a slow steady stream. Cook until the eggs are set, stirring to create shreds or ribbons of the eggs, for 1 minute.
Remove saucepan from the heat. Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with remaining scallions. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.