Not Sure How To Deal with A Drug or Alcohol Use Problem?
- If you need help figuring out how to deal with your child’s drug or alcohol use call the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids Toll-Free Helpline at 1-855-DRUGFREE.
To Find An Addiction Treatment Provider
- Call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Treatment Referral Line 1-800-662-HELP (4357). Or visit their website to find a provider.
- The National Council on Behavioral Health’s “Find a Treatment Provider” Site
- Read the Opioid Addiction Treatment Guide from The American Society of Addiction Medicine. Then search their database for a provider.
Still Not Sure How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs and Alcohol?
- Read the Parent Talk Kit from Partnership for Drug-Free Kids.
- Download the SAMHSA Talking to Your Kids About Prescription Drug Abuse Guide.
- Check Out SAMHSA’s tools for talking about alcohol and download their app, which lets you practice the conversation.
- Learn how to Use the correct language when talking about addiction.
Take This Quiz To Find Out How Much You Really Know About Drugs
- Drug Test from Partnership for Drug-Free Kids.
Didn’t Do So Well on The Quiz, Learn More from these Resources:
- Drug Guide on Misuse and Abuse of Prescription and Over the Counter Medicine.
- Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know.
- Drug Facts From The National Institutes of Health.
Help Prevent Drug and Alcohol Abuse in Your Family
Figuring Out How to Get Help for Your Child with a Substance Abuse Problem can seem difficult, but these eBooks from Partnership for Drug-Free Kids can help.
- How to find the right help for your child with a drug or alcohol problem.
- Is your teen or young adult addicted to opioids such as prescription painkillers or heroin? Medication-assisted treatment may be helpful for your child.
Want to Go Beyond Facing Addiction Over Dinner Discussion Guide?
- Check out the 20 Minutes Parents Guide. It will take you more than 20 minutes to read but gives an in-depth look into how to talk to and help your kids with substance use.
Learn More About Opioid Abuse
- Resources for Heroin and Other Opioids from the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids.
Resources for Teens
- Learn everything you need to know about drugs at NIDA For Teens.
- Help your teens become more aware of the influences around them and how to successfully deal with the pressures at Above the Influence.
- Learn about how to safely use prescription drugs with SAMHSA’s guide Prescription Drugs: They Can Help But Also Hurt: Not Worth the Risk and You're in Control: Using Prescription Medicine Responsibly: Not Worth the Risk.