Grain-Free Key Lime Pie
A grain-free and flour-free key lime pie recipe that's every bit as delicious as the traditional dessert.
This delicious dessert is perfect for those who follow a vegan or paleo diet. The avocado, maple syrup, and coconut cream make the texture of the pie thick and creamy and the maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness to the tart base. Plus, the avocado is full of good fats, adding plenty of nutritious value to each slice.
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 6 Medjool dates
- 1 cup toasted almond slices
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (key limes or regular lime)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
- 1-2 tsp coconut flour
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1. Slowly melt coconut butter over low heat. Be careful, as it burns easily.
2. In the meantime, pit and cut dates into small pieces and place in a food processor. Process for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add almond slices and coconut flakes. Process again for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add coconut butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Process until you have a sticky, crumbly mass.
5. Press crust into a pie dish and refrigerate.
1. Peel avocados and place them in a food processor together with lime juice, maple syrup, and coconut flour. Process until smooth and thick.
2. Carefully remove coconut milk from refrigerator (don't shake). Open the coconut milk cans and scoop out the cream that has accumulated at the top into a separate bowl. You won't need the coconut milk for this recipe; we suggest using it for a smoothie!
3. Whisk with a hand mixer until it is thick and stiff and resembles regular dairy whipped cream.
4. Add avocado mix to coconut cream and use a hand mixer until it is well incorporated.
5. Pour filling into a pie dish and place in a freezer for 2 to 3 hours or until the center is firm.
6. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for another 2 hours before serving.
7. Keep refrigerated.