Spicy Roasted Beets
Spice up your side dishes with this beet recipe.
Beets are an acquired taste for most people, but the best way to ease yourself into the flavor is by roasting them. This makes the beets hard and crunchy, delivering the perfect amount of texture and flavor.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb small mixed beets, cut into quarters
- 2 apples, cored and cut onto 2-inch chunks
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup cashews
1. In a large cast iron pan, on medium-high, heat the oil. Stir in the ginger and pepper flakes and cook for about one minute. Add the beets and apples, season with salt and pepper, and cook on high heat for about five minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Scatter the scallions and cashew over the beets and serve.
Note: The beets will be hot inside, but still nice and crunchy. If you want, you can cook them longer to soften.