Venison Meatballs in Orange-Gin Broth
Make this flavorful meatball recipe for your next party.
This fruit-infused combination pairs well with ground meat to make delicious meatballs. Give the raspberry-bourbon ones a try too!
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 slices bread soaked in 1/2 cup kefir or butter milk
- cloves garlic, chopped
- grapeseed oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup gin
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
1. In a food processor, thoroughly combine venison, pork, onion, pear, marjoram, pepper, salt, hot sauce, bread, and garlic.
2. Form 1 1/2- or2-inchh meatballs. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown balls on all sides. Do this in batches, setting aside the browned meatballs on a plate.
3. To make the sauce, heat the broth in a large saucepan.
4. Whisk in the orange marmalade, orange zest, gin, and a touch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and gently slide the browned meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the cooked meatballs and set aside. Bring the broth to a high simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, until a bit reduced. Return the meatballs into the broth and heat through.
6. Serve over rice or pasta with the broth, topped with some sliced scallions, and enjoy.