Mindful Mac and Cheese
Get your daily brain boost with this lunch recipe.
As a part of the Anti-Alzheimer’s Meal Plan, this mac and cheese recipe is packed with ingredients full of essential vitamins and nutrients to help boost your brain function. The turmeric and sauerkraut are surprising sources of antioxidants and probiotics with anti-inflammatory qualities. The nutritional yeast not only adds a savory cheese flavor but is an excellent source of vitamin B12 too. You’ll get the traditional richness of the dish with an added nutritional boost!
From The Alzheimer’s Solution by Dean & Ayesha Sherzai, MD. Copyright 2017.
- 1 lb small pasta made of brown rice, quinoa, or spelt (elbow macaroni, shells, or chiocciole)
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans
- 1 cup canned sauerkraut, well drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours, or better yet, overnight. If you’re in a rush, place them in boiling water, cover the container with a lid or plate, and let soak for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
2. In a large pot, boil water and add a teaspoon of salt. Cook pasta according to package instruction and drain. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
3. Place the soaked cashews and 2 cups of vegetable broth in a food processor or a high-speed blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth, scraping the sides of the food processor with a spatula occasionally. Set aside.
4. Preheat a large, deep pan or a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt with half a tablespoon of the oil, until onions are softened. Now add the turmeric, salt, black pepper, beans, and sauerkraut for one minute.
5. Once the mixture is heated well, turn off the heat and carefully transfer to the blender with a large spoon or spatula. Puree the content until smooth and silky.
6. Transfer the sauce back into the pan and place over medium-low heat to warm through, stirring regularly. The mixture will thicken a bit. Add the lemon juice, pepper, and nutritional yeast to taste.
7. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix together. Serve immediately.