This grilled cheese recipe is the perfect comfort food for a chilly winter day.
Grilled cheese is a classic comfort food and the first meal that most of us learn how to cook by ourselves. Kids and adults both enjoy it, and the gooey, crisp, buttery flavors are comforting in all the right ways. Its versatility makes it easy to adapt with your favorite cheeses and different kinds of bread. Try this recipe paired with broccoli-cheese soup or your favorite soup recipe.
- 1 ⅓ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 slices hearty white sandwich bread
- 4 tsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Combine cheeses in bowl. Brush top side of each slice of bread with melted butter. Flip 4 slices over, sprinkle with cheese, and compact cheese lightly with hand. Cover with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Place 2 sandwiches in pan and weight with round cake pan, pressing lightly. Leave cake pan on top and cook until first side is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip sandwiches, press again with cake pan, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.