Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Elevate your classic green bean casserole or enjoy this soup recipe on its own.
Old-school green bean casserole requires condensed mushroom soup as the sauce for the green beans. While the classic flavor of canned soup works, you can easily make a simple mushroom sauce that is just as flavorful, not too expensive, and with just a few ingredients: cremini mushrooms, butter, flour, milk, and chicken stock. Use this as the base of a green bean casserole, or enjoy on its own!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms, diced
- ¼ cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add butter to a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Stir in flour. Cook for 2 more minutes until flour becomes toasted and fragrant.
5. Add chicken stock while whisking vigorously to avoid any lumps. Stir in milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds.
6. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Cool completely and store in fridge until ready to use.