Hungry Girl's Apple Fries
This Hungry Girl recipe is the perfect low-calorie dessert!
Even though the whole serving is only 167 calories, these apple fries make for the perfect faux-fry sweet treat! Get energy from the whole-wheat breadcrumbs used to faux-fry, and enjoy the beautifully sweet, no-guilt flavor brought by no-calorie sweetener, cinnamon, and salt. Baking will allow all the apple's natural sweetness to come through too, so it's the best dessert for a hungry, healthy girl.
- 1 medium Fuji or Gala apple (about 6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 packet natural no-calorie sweetener
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup egg whites (about 2 large eggs' worth)
- 1/8 tsp maple extract
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Core and peel apple. Cut into half-moon slices about 1/4-inch thick.
3. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, sweetener, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In another medium bowl, mix egg whites with maple extraact. Add apple slices, and toss to coat.
5. One at a time, shake apple slices to remove excess egg and lightly coat with breadcrumb mixture. Lay evenly on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes.
7. Flip apple pieces. Baking until lightly browned and crispy on the outside and slightly softened on the inside, about 10 more minutes.