Patricia Heaton's Spicy Baked Avocado Eggs
It's time to move past avocado toast with this amazing and filling breakfast recipe!
Avocado has been a produce all-star for a long time, but Patricia Heaton put a brand new, protein-packed and spicy spin on it with this breakfast recipe. The ingredients in this dish give you the long-lasting fuel you need to stay full and satisfied for the entire day, and this is the perfect way to break the habit of always having carbs for breakfast. Beyond its nutritional benefits, this is a super easy meal to make. Find more recipes like this one here.
From Patricia Heaton's Food for Family and Friends: 100 Favorite Recipes for a Busy, Happy Life by Patricia Heaton. Copyright © 2018. Reprinted by permission of Morrow Cookbooks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp crumbled Cotija cheese
- splash of heavy cream
- sea salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup cooked crumbled chorizo or salsa
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, Cotija cheese, cream, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper in a medium bowl. Beat with a fork until well mixed.
3. Halve and pit the avocados (do not peel them). Depending on the size of the avocado pits, you might need to use a spoon to shave a little bit of extra avocado from the center to accommodate the egg filling.
4. Arrange the avocados cut side up in a small, rimmed baking dish (they should be snug enough not to roll around). Carefully pour egg filling into the center of each avocado (do not overfill).
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the filling is lightly golden on top.
6. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chorizo or salsa on top of each avocado half. Serve hot.