You can toss some blueberries into the pancake batter to get an extra burst of flavor. This recipe's calcium, found in yogurt, and pectin, found in orange, may help prevent colon and lung cancers.
Makes 6 servings, 2 large pancakes, per serving
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups orange juice (more if needed)
- 2 bananas, sliced into about 1/4 inch slices
- 6 oz vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla. Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda and brown sugar in a separate bowl and stir; add to egg mixture. Gradually add orange juice to desired consistency. Drop about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot griddle and place banana slices on top. Cook bottom side to a golden brown and flip to brown top. Bananas will brown first and melt slightly. Serve with a dollop of low-fat vanilla yogurt and a few orange sections on the side.