Chef Art Smith has cooked for some of the most famous people in the world (including Oprah), but it wasn't until recently that he put the spotlight on this own health. This delicious pizza recipe is part of a nutritional plan that allowed him to lose weight, even while working at a restaurant!
Serves 6; makes three 10" pizzas
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flower
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup warm water at approximately 110 ° F
- additional flour for kneading
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, seeded, drained, and reserved for topping
- 1 ball of buffalo or cow mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, torn
- 1 small block of Parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- roasted vegetables (roasted mushrooms, optional)
- chopped arugula (optional)
Pour warm water in food processor, sprinkle yeast and agave, allow to activate for 10 minutes until bubbly.
Add the flours, salt, olive oil, and pulse until the dough comes together into a sticky ball. Remove the dough from the processor and sprinkle some additional flour on the dough and knead into a soft dough.
Place the ball of kneaded dough into a large mixing bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to double in bulk for approximately 1 hour. After dough has doubled in bulk, divide into 3 balls, each of which will make a 10" pie.
Put one ball of dough on top of a piece of parchment paper and flatten the ball with your hands and gently stretch to form a 10" circle.
Preheat oven to 500 ° F . If using a pizza stone, preheat the stone for 1 hour at 500 ° F If you're not using a stone, you can transform a regular rectangular cookie sheet into a great pizza pan by turning it over.
Shape pizza on parchment paper, sprinkle on tomato pieces, torn basil, and thinly sliced/torn pieces of mozzarella, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Place pizza on stone or cookie sheet and bake for 2-3 minutes just until the dough is firm, then pull parchment from under the pizza, and bake for 8-10 more minutes until the top is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven. Grate some Parmesan cheese on top and serve.