This vegan and gluten-free recipe from Terry Hope Romero's Protein Ninja yields 10 four-inch family-friendly pancakes. They're made with bananas and flaxseeds in place of eggs and three gluten-free flours instead of wheat flour. For sweeter, vanilla-scented pancakes, swap the plain, unsweetened nut milk with vanilla-flavored soy, almond, cashew, or coconut milk.
- 1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened soy, almond, cashew milk, or coconut beverage
- 2 large ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 cup mashed)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp melted virgin coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- sliced ripe banana
- chopped walnuts
- vegan butter
- real maple syrup
- sprinkle of ground cinnamon
1. In a 4-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together the soy milk, bananas, ground flaxseeds, and vinegar.
2. Refrigerate the mixture for five minutes: this gives the flaxseeds a chance to gel slightly and the soy milk to curdle. Whisk in the oil.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the oat, buckwheat, and coconut flour along with the coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Fold in the soy milk mixture and the walnuts. Mix only enough to eliminate any large lumps or dry spots; make sure not to over mix.
5. Preheat a seasoned griddle over medium heat.
6. Lightly oil the griddle and for each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup of batter, taking care not to overcrowd the griddle.
7. Bake for about two minutes or until the edges begin to look dry. Carefully flip only once and bake until pancakes are firm to the touch; take care when flipping, as gluten-free pancakes are a little more fragile than wheat pancakes.
8. Serve hot with toppings such as banana slices, chopped walnuts, vegan butter, maple syrup, or ground cinnamon.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!