Bottled BBQ sauce can have as much sugar as 21 donuts! Be in control of what's going in your food and your body by making BBQ sauce from scratch. Add this delicious sauce to ribs for a perfect indulgent dinner meal.
- 4 slabs baby back ribs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 oz red wine (optional)
- 1 oz molasses
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 oz Coca-Cola (optional)
- 2 oz red wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. Season ribs with salt and pepper, then wrap in foil and place in oven to cook for about three hours. Then, turn the ribs over and cook for an additional three hours.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, under medium heat, sweat the onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the tomato paste and stir well until the paste sticks to the bottom of the pan: do not burn.
5. Deglaze with the red wine, let simmer for one minute, then add the remaining ingredients.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and let simmer for about 15 - 20 mins, or until reduced by half to make a homemade BBQ sauce.
7. Arrange the ribs in an oven tray and brush a generous amount of the BBQ sauce on.
8. Return ribs to oven and let cook for 10-20 minutes, while basting every five to eight minutes.
9. Serve ribs with a side of baked potatoes, grilled corn, or kale salad.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!