Makes 12 cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup firmly packed splenda brown sugar
- 1/2 cup eggbeaters
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red walnuts
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup artificial sweetener
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red walnuts
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or use silicone pans and spray. In medium bowl, sift both flours, baking soda, salt and spices.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar and eggs. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the walnuts. Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 20 minutes.) Cool completely on wire rack.
To make the frosting, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese and artificial sweetener until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes. Store in refrigerator.