Beef tacos can be loaded with fat and calories, but not this meal from Chef Jose Garces. Made with skirt steak, a leaner cut of meat, these tacos cut down on the fat while maintaining their juicy flavor. With the added secret weapon of Cotija cheese, which packs a salty punch, this dish combines all the flavors you love without any of the guilt.
- 4 oz skirt steak, sliced 1/2-inch across the grain
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, picked
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 onion, julienne
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 roasted green pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 chipotles en adobo
- 1 tbsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 quart black beans, rinsed
- 3 quarts water
- 4 sprigs epazote
- 2 tbsp salt
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes, charred on the grill
- 1 clove garlic, charred on the grill
- 1/2 onion, charred on the grill
- 2 tomatillos, charred on the grill
- 1 chipotle en adobo
- 1 chile de arbol, toasted
- 1 jalapeño, charred on the grill
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 slices spicy avocado
- 1 tbsp grated Cotija cheese
Place all ingredients (parsley, olive oil, garlic clove, 1 tsp salt), except skirt steak, in a blender and purée until smooth. Place skirt steak in a bowl and pour marinade on top. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes under refrigeration.
For the black beans:
Sweat onions and garlic in blended oil until very soft. Add remaining ingredients (red pepper, green pepper, 2 chipotles, Mexican oregano, apple cide vinegar, sugar, sprigs epazote). Bring up to a boil and purée in blender. Rinse black beans. Place in a pot and fill with water. Add salt and epazote. Boil until beans are about 90% cooked. Remove from heat. Heat a separate large pot over medium-high heat. Add purée and cook for a few minutes. Add beans and cook until tender. Season with salt.
Purée all ingredients (charred beefsteak tomatoes, charred garlic, charred onion, charred tomatillos, 1 chipotle, chile de arbol, jalapeño, cilantro, salt) using a hand blender and refrigerate.
To assemble the dish:
Preheat a cast iron pan or griddle over high heat. Drain any excess marinade from the steak and season with salt and pepper. Place on the hot pan or griddle and cook to medium rare. Remove from the heat and set aside. Wipe griddle or pan clean and place tortillas on to heat through. To finish, place a spoonful of black beans in the center of each tortilla. Top with the steak, followed by the salsa roja and a slice of avocado. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese to finish.