Vitamin-rich bell peppers provide the 3 bright colors in this festive dish from The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook. Add an orange pepper too, if you like. You can double the recipe and serve the extra as a salad, chilled or at room temperature. Click here to purchase your copy of The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 bunches arugula, each bunch trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the oregano, and the black pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the garlic and discard.
Increase the heat to medium. Add half of the chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
Add all the bell peppers and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the peppers are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Add the arugula and cook, tossing, until wilted, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan, sprinkle with the vinegar, and toss to combine. Serve hot.
Adapted The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook by Arthur Agatston, M.D. © 2010 by Arthur Agatston, M.D. By arrangement with Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.