Delight your palate with this crab salad and accompanying citrus marinade from Chef Chip Roman. With an array of herbs and flavors, you won’t need to add much salt, making this a low-sodium entrée.
- 16 oz lump crab meat, picked over to remove any bits of shell
- 1 large cantaloupe melon
- 4 or 5 large basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- 3 or 4 sprigs of cilantro, leaves cut into thin ribbons
- 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, leaves cut into thin ribbons
- 1/4 bunch of chives, thinly sliced
- Mustard oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 Thai chili
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
Makes 4 servings.
To make the marinade:
In a bowl mix 1 bunch cilantro, 1/2 bunch basil, 1/4 bunch parsley, Thai chili, 3 tbsp mustard oil, olive oil and honey. Season to taste with salt and then add the citrus (lemon, lime, orange) juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
The rest of the dish:
Season crab meat with marinade, half of herbs and chives. Arrange the melon around the plate and top with the crab mix.
Drizzle plate with marinade, remaining herbs, and a few drops of mustard oil.