It’s rainbow time! Filled with red pepper, tomatoes and red onion, orange juice, golden raisins, green beans, basil, parsley and cilantro, eggplant and balsamic vinegar, this easy to make curry ragout hits just about every color of the rainbow. But have you ever asked yourself where the colors come from? These wonderfully rich colors are caused by phytochemicals, such as carotenoids and anthocyanins. Studies have shown that eating a diet high in phytochemical-containing foods can prevent many health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure and even some cancers. When choosing foods, remember: The darker the color, the more phytochemicals it contains. If you’re looking to bring color to your plate and health to your body, look no further than this recipe!
Makes 20 Servings (Serving Size: 1/2 cup)
- 2 eggplant, peeled, small dice
- 4 small zucchini, small dice
- 2 cups green beans, blanched, chive cut
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup red onion, small dice
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, fine chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 12 oz orange juice
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
2. Add back eggplant, zucchini, capers, raisins, ginger, tomatoes, orange juice, curry powder, pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar, and bring to a gentle simmer.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes or until eggplant is soft, add green beans, parsley, basil and cilantro, stir, remove from heat and serve as an accompaniment to seafood or over rice.