This soup by longevity expert Dan Buettner will warm you up on a cold day and strengthen your immune system. The broccoli decreases risk of cancer and helps the liver detoxify, while the cashews lower the risk of heart disease and help your immune system. A long life is ahead of you with this hearty bowl of soup.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, or one fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz broccoli (about 7 cups, packed)
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock, divided
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
1. Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water (hot water speeds the process). Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
2. Add oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes.
3. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes.
4. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
5. Add 5 cups water or vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6. Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water or vegetable stock in a blender or Vitamix. Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Set the cashew cream aside.
7. Puree soup using a large blender or immersion blender. You'll likely have to do this in batches.
8. Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Creed’s Scott Stapp Speaks Out on Addiction.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!