- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large head red cabbage, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large green apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tbsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light-brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup peeled chestnuts (optional)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and carrots and sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent.
Add the cabbage and apple and mix well, then add salt to taste, the garlic, the bay leaf, cloves, wine, vinegar and sugar.
Bring to a low boil, cover, and cook for about 1 hour.
Remove bay leaf and correct seasoning to taste. You may also add the peeled chestnuts to cook in the braising liquid.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in Why You Don’t Have to Be Gluten-Free Forever.