- 7 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 large Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 medium mango, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 lime wedges
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss the tomatoes, onion and garlic with the oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, then transfer to baking sheet. Roast until the garlic cloves have softened, the edges of the onions are browned, and the tomatoes have collapsed, 35-40 minutes, stirring once after the first 20 minutes.
Transfer the roasted vegetable mixture to a 4-quart saucepan. Add the broth, beans, cumin, chili powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in the hot sauce. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Place a lettuce leaf on each serving plate. Arrange 4-5 slices each of avocado and mango, alternating them in a row, into each lettuce cup. Top each with a few onion rounds, and then squeeze lime wedge over each salad. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!