Ellie Krieger, registered dietician and host of the Food Network's Healthy Appetite, shares this recipe from her longevity arsenal. Prevention can start in your kitchen if you have the right ingredients. Prepare for your next trip to the supermarket with Dr. Oz's Longevity Grocery List. To purchase your copy of So Easy, click here.
Makes 12 servings (1 serving: 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 5 cups head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large serving bowl, toss together the jicama, cabbage, onion and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. This will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about 3 days.