Delicious alone or as part of Dr. Oz's 7-Day Automated Meal Plan. Automating your meals is one of Dr. Oz's top tenets of dieting success, whether your goals are nutritional or geared toward weight loss. It's the only way to know what you'll eat and when you'll eat - eliminating guesswork and temptation. To purchase your copy of YOU: On A Diet click here.
Makes 10 servings (about 1 cup each); 176 calories per serving
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 quarts low salt vegetable or chicken stock or broth
- 1 can (28 oz) whole, crushed, or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, then onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrot, garlic and bell pepper; cook until tender. Add stock, tomatoes, water and cabbage; simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Season to taste with hot sauce and salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if desired.