Think biscotti are dry and tasteless? Think again! Infused with espresso, cocoa, orange zest, and slivered almonds, these biscotti are a flavorful treat in the afternoon or as an indulgent dessert with your after-dinner coffee.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp instant espresso
- 1 tbsp natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 1 small orange
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, espresso, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the eggs, yolk, and sugar on medium speed until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour mixture and mix just until a dough forms. Add the zest and almonds and continue to combine.
2. Divide the dough in half and form into two 12-inch long logs, about 3 inches apart, on a baking sheet. Work on a floured surface if the dough is slightly tacky. Bake until puffed and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully move the logs onto a cooing rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
3. Let cool until you can handle the logs, about 10 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut on a slight bias into 1/2-inch thick biscotti. Arrange the biscotti on a baking sheet and bake until firm on the top side, about 10 to 12 minutes. Flip them all and bake until the other side is firm, 10 to 12 minutes more. Cool completely on baking racks.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!