Whenever you’re in the mood for a quick and easy weeknight meal, or hosting a casual gathering and need to serve a crowd, this slow cooker pulled pork recipe is sure to be a hit. It makes use of your slow cooker so you can get dinner on the table in a jiffy, and it’s the perfect thing for a picnic or potluck because you can keep it warm in the slow cooker. People can make their own sandwiches and control their portion sizes. If you’re in a pinch, you can use your favorite bottle of barbecue sauce, but it’s better to make your own. That way you know what’s in it. These pulled pork sandwiches are wonderful with corn on the cob and a salad during the summer months. In the wintertime, we enjoy them with cooked greens such as spinach or collards.
- 3 to 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 large sweet onion
- Hot dog buns or Kaiser rolls
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 2 cups water
1. Slice a large sweet onion into discs and drop them into the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle the pork loin on all sides with salt and pepper and place it on top of the onions in the crockpot.
3. Cover and cook on low for six to eight hours or until the pork is falling apart.
4. About an hour before you want to eat, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, hot sauce and water in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Heat to boiling and boil one minute.
5. With two forks, shred the pork and mix in the onions.
6. Pour about a cup of the sauce over the pork (or to taste) and use the fork to mix it in. Reserve the remaining sauce to serve with the pork sandwiches.
7. Cover and continue to cook for another 30 to 45 minutes. Serve on a roll with the remaining barbecue sauce and your favorite sides.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!