- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provence
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or more)
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 9 oz), ribs removed, and chopped
Heat oil in large, heavy pot over high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery root, and rutabaga; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables soften and begin to brown, 10 to 11 minutes.
Add lentils and herbes de Provence; stir to coat. Add broth and kale. Bring to a boil, stirring in kale.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add more broth to thin, if desired.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls.