- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 rosemary twig
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup hulled barley
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 can beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Grated Parmesan
In a pot, sauté onions, carrots and celery with extra virgin olive oil. Add the rosemary, garlic and barley and continue cooking for about 3 more minutes.
Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer on low for about 1 hour.
Add in the tomatoes and beans and cook another 15 minutes or longer, until the barley is soft. If using kale, stir it in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve topped with grated parmesan.