Makes 2 servings
- 2 (1/4-in thick) eggplant slices
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup light or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 sheets oven-read lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- black pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Lay eggplant slices on the baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip eggplant and bake until browned and softened, about 10 more minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, thoroughly mix egg whites, ricotta cheese, basil, garlic, salt, and nutmeg.
Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir mushrooms until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir mushrooms into ricotta mixture. Spray a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, mix crushed tomatoes with Italian seasoning.
Evenly layer ingredients in the loaf pan: 1/4 cup seasoned tomatoes, 1 lasagna sheet, half of the mushroom-ricotta mixture, 1/4 cup seasoned tomatoes, 1 eggplant slice. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients.
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and grated topping. Bake until cheese is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!