- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 1-in cubes
- 2 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella (8 oz total)
Preheat oven to 500°F. Toss the eggplant with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Place on a baking sheet and roast, tossing occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until golden.
Reduce the oven temperature to 425°F. Transfer the eggplant to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Add the tomato sauce and basil and toss to coat the eggplant. Layer the mozzarella on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
Recipe courtesy of the Deen Brothers.