Makes 8 servings
- 1 package whole wheat orecchiette
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups rice milk
- 1/2 lb low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 lb Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1/4 lb gruyere, shredded
- 1/4 lb light creme fraiche
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parsley, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups cooked collard greens
Preheat oven to broiler setting at 375°F.
Cook the orecchiette per the package’s instructions. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter in a stock pot, and sauté shallots until caramelized then stir in flour. Add garlic and rice milk. Continue to stir until flour is dissolved and there are no lumps. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low then add all cheeses, including crème fraiche. Whisk until cheeses are melted and incorporated into the sauce.
Mix in nutmeg, mustard powder, salt and pepper.
Toss pasta together with sauce and greens and transfer to a baking pan.
In a food processor, blend panko, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, Parmesan, salt and pepper until fine.
Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over the pasta and place in oven. Broil for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.