Make your eggs sexy by dressing them up with fresh-made salsa. Oprah's trick to delicious eggs is to scramble egg whites with one yolk in order to retain the yellow color of cooked eggs without added cholesterol. Enjoy this dish for breakfast and even whip it up for a quick lunch.
Recipe from: Food, Health, and Happiness: 115 On-Point Recipes for Great Meals and a Better Life. By Oprah Winfrey.
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 small white onion, peeled
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes
- 1 small tomato on the vine or cluster tomato
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large scallion, white and light green parts, finely chopped
1. To make the salsa, preheat the broiler. Lay the chiles, garlic, onion, and tomatoes out on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Set the pan 4 inches from the heat source and broil for five to six minutes, until darkened in color and blackened in spots.
2. In a food processor, combine the chiles, garlic, onion, and a pinch of salt and pulse to a medium-fine chop. Add the tomatoes (you can add them whole, as they will be very soft) and process until all the ingredients are broken down and well combined. Season with salt and spoon into a bowl.
3. To make the scramble, in a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk, egg whites, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the scallion and sauté for about 30 seconds, until softened, then add the eggs and, using a heatproof spatula, slowly mix until soft curds start to form. Continue to stir until the eggs are cooked through, about one an a half minutes total.
4. To serve, spoon the eggs onto a plate and serve smothered in 1/4 cup of salsa. Any leftover salsa can be kept refrigerated for up to a week. Serve with sliced avocado and a slice of healthy toasted bread if you like.
Note: This recipe is 3 Weight Watchers points.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!