This salad recipe, created by Sabrina Wieser from RunningBrina offers a great way to enjoy Mexican food while eating on the Pegan 365 diet. It’s easy and fast to prepare, and the meat is more of a side dish since it’s high in plant-based protein and full of healthy veggies.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup medium-hot salsa
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb organic skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 corn whole wheat tortillas
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and sliced)
1. Preheat a pan or outdoor grill over medium-high heat and put a little bit of oil into the pan/grill.
2. Mix the black beans, the 1/2 cup cilantro, the chopped tomatoes and lime juice and the salsa in a bowl.
3. When the chicken is in the pan put a little bit of chili powder, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt on the chicken.
4. Cook the chicken breasts on preheated grill, or pan 10 to 12 minutes per side and the juice runs clear.
5. While the chicken is on the grill, place the tortillas on the grill for 4 minutes.
6. When the chicken isn't red inside anymore and slightly brown from the outside place it on a cutting board and slice the meat into long chicken strips.
7. Put the chicken on the warm tortillas and top it with the bean mixture, some lettuce and the remaining cilantro. Cut the avocado in small pieces and place it on top of the chicken.
Watch The Video
This recipe was recently featured in I Was Pregnant and I Didn’t Know.
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!